Friday, March 25, 2011

What's Next For Esperanza?

When Esperanza finally leaves Mango Street, I predict that she intends to do for herself what the other women in er neighborhood were unable to do. Throughout this book there are many women and girls mentioned who are stuck on Mango Street and either didn't or won't have the opportunity to get an education so that they could live their lives with out relying on a man.
"Not a man's house. Not a daddy's. A house all my own. With my porch and my pillow, my pretty purple petunias. My books and my stories [...] Nobody to shake a stick at. Nobody's garage to pick up after." (p.108)
This quote clearly shows that Esperanza intends on having a house of her own completely without  the help of a man weather it is her father, or her husband, she definitely wants to be independent. The last two sentences of this quote also make it seem as though she doesn't want children to have to pick up after either, at least at the moment. She want to be able to be alone and do well for herself before she had to take care of other people.

When Esperanza leaves Mango Street, she seems to be glad to finally get away and go on and give to herself what many of the other women she encountered couldn't give to themselves, which I think is an education. I also think that she mainly wants to get a job good enough to be able to provide for herself. However, she mentions that she won't forget to return to Mango Street.
"They will not know I have gone away to come back. For the ones  I left behind. For the ones who cannot out." (p. 110)
When she says "... I have gone away to to come back for the ones I left behind," it seems as though Esperanza is saying that once she has achieved her goals in the new place she has left to, she will come back for others. These other people that she "left behind" are most likely the women she mentions throughout the book. By coming back I think Esperanza means that she will return to help these women leave Mango Street and succeed for themselves just as she intends to do herself. She would like to help them achieve accomplishments so that they would no longer have to rely on a man to provide for them and so that they won't have to be stuck being a house wife. Esperanza wants to do what is best for herself and then use her achievements to help the women that made her realize she doesn't want to rely on any man when she gets older like they had to. 

1 comment:

  1. You really slam dunked this! Very convincing analysis with good choice of evidence. Thanks... :)

    ReplyDelete