Thursday, August 26, 2010

First Classmate Respnse

      I found a quote from Peter Chen's blog on his response to "Odd Girl Out" and I think his experience can be used to figure out ways to use the ASTI constitution to make other students feel more comfortable in school.
 I saw many times that people bully others. I did not help the one who gets bully on, how could you help a guy that is against to few people? Authority? Power? Evidence? No! None of them above I had. I just know do not make others feel bad or mad, do the way I think it should be. Luckily, in Lincoln, I remember I only have once that others tried to bully me, not really bully, but it really make be feel bad. The second day of the school, there is a guy who lanugh on my English-speaking skill very loudly(that was my first year! How would I speak English like an ABC!?)
       From Peter's experience, I think we should learn to accept others for who they are. He had just moved to the United States that year and people were already making fun of him because of the way he talked. I agree with his statement when he mentions how other people didn't even care to think that he needed time to adjust to speaking English. How could they expect him to know the language of a country he had only been in for a year? I think we should try to help people who are having difficulties with something instead of just pointing fingers and making fun of them. We should also learn to acknowledge different people and their situations and accept them for it even if it may seem weird or different to us. Thankfully no one is the same, so we should try to embrace this and accept others just the way they are.
       We should also learn to find the courage to stand up for, not just ourselves, but also other people that we see being bullied or harassed. This is easier said than done but, if we do it can really help others feel more comfortable with what they're dealing with. Just like Peter said, sometimes we feel like we don't really have the authority or power to step up to a larger group of people and tell them that what they are doing is wrong. Most likely, if we did do this the only thing that would happen is that we would just cause more attention to ourselves and even if the larger group of people stop being mean to that one person, they will probably start bullying you. I know this from experience because when I was in elementary school, the group of girls that I hung out with started being really rude to another one of my friends. I decided to be on my other friends side so she wouldn't feel as sad but then, they started excluding me just because i was trying help out someone else.
       Lastly, it is always a strong thing to do when you take responsibility for your own words and actions. I know that I tend to talk about the good things i did to help other people out but, i have to admit that sometimes, i was part of the bullying. When these girls would start making fun of another girl in our class who wasn't really a close friend of mine, I would sometimes join in with them. It kind of felt good to have the attention turned away from me so  I didn't really care that I was making somebody else feel bad, I was just glad that they weren't bullying me. However, I now know that what i did was wrong and I really tried to change that about myself. I've attempted to make sure that  I don't make others feel bad intentionally and to pick friends that do the same. Or, even if my friends to make fun of  others, i try to have ones that won't get mad at me if I tell them that the are being mean. I think I've become pretty successful with this but what I could work on is trying not to join in and talk about people that I don't like. Even if it may feel like we are all on the same side, i know that if the other person somehow found out about what we were saying, it would really hurt them.
       The ASTI constitution has very good rules about how we should all treat each other so that everyone will feel safe and comfortable when they are at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment